Money and legal matters

Seek help from Citizen Advice Barnet

If you need help with money matters, you can call, email or drop in to Citizens Advice Barnet. They can assess your situation and help you decide what to do next. 

Older male smiling

Claiming benefits

You may be entitled to a range of benefits and exemptions, according to your circumstances including allowances, reductions or exemptions. 

Household support fund for adults

The fund supports households struggling to meet food and energy bills.

We've now received funding for the Household Support Fund. The funding will cover April to September 2022

Funding the cost of care

There are lots of options that are free or low cost, such as:

Social care services, unlike health care, is not free for everyone. Most people will have to contribute something towards the cost of their care with some people having to pay the full cost.

If you think you need support with the cost of your care, then have a conversation with us about a financial assessment of your needs

Look for independent financial advice to work out how to pay for care and support

It is always good to know what all your options are when you’re thinking about how to pay for care and support. 

Later life financial advisers specialise in the needs of older people. They can offer good advice about paying for care.

Appoint people to help you make decisions: lasting power of attorney

You can appoint one or more people, known as attorneys, to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf.

This gives you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions (you ‘lack mental capacity’).

Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity

You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they ‘lack mental capacity’. This means they can’t make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made.