Tenancy fraud

Social Housing and Tenancy Fraud in Barnet

It is estimated that the average national loss to the public purse for each tenancy fraud is £18,000 per annum.

Social housing is in short supply. Tenants who illegally sub-let or fail to occupy their property are committing criminal offences which could lead to prosecution and a criminal records.

Please help safeguard Barnet's housing stock and make sure that fraudsters are prosecuted and punished.

Types of Social Housing Fraud:

  • Application Fraud - making a false declaration or submitted fraudulent documents to obtain a council tenancy
  • Unlawful Subletting - tenants who sublet the whole or part of their home
  • Non-Occupation - tenants who do not occupy their council property as their main or principal home
  • Succession Fraud - unlawful tenancy succession - wrongful succession to a person who does not qualify and submitted false information
  • Right To Buy Fraud - where a false application has been submitted

Report Tenancy Fraud

Report all suspicions of social housing or tenancy fraud against the council and its partners to the Corporate Anti-Fraud Team.

Call the Fraud Hotline on 020 8359 2007 or email

You may remain anonymous if you so wish.

By reporting tenancy fraud you help us to make sure only those in genuine housing need get a home.

Prosecuting Fraud

It is a criminal offence to commit the above offences.  The Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013 carries a sentence of up to 2 years and a fine of up to £5,000.  Also, any profit deemed to have been made from tenancy fraud can be ordered to be repaid to the Council.

We also prosecute under the Fraud Act 2006, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years or unlimited fine or both.  On more serious cases we will look to recover monies under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.

We will also consider recovering monies under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 where a tenant has had financial gains when subletting a property.

There will be occasions when we take civil action to recover a property through the County Courts.

How can I hand back keys?

You can hand back your keys to the Corporate Anti-Fraud Team, your Local Housing Officer or Housing office.

If you are a Barnet Homes resident you can also hand your keys back at 2 Bristol Avenue, Colindale NW9 4EW. You can also print out and complete a Surrender Form.

Who are our partners and participating housing associations?

  • Barnet Homes
  • Family Mosaic
  • Home Group
  • Metropolitan Housing