Private fostering of my child

What must I do if someone else is or will be looking after my child?

  • notify Barnet at least six weeks before the arrangement. If your child is already living with their private foster carer then you must notify us immediately
  • ensure that the private fostering arrangement is safe for your child
  • agree on financial arrangements for your child
  • keep in regular contact with the private foster carer to make sure that your child is being looked after as you would wish
  • if your child’s carer changes address, or if you decide to change carers you must notify us of this change immediately. If you do not notify us we will not be able to make sure your child is safe.

Barnet Council are responsible for making sure that all privately fostered children are well cared for and safe.