Private fostering someone else's child

What must I do if I intend to or already foster a child privately?

If you are planning to or already foster a child privately, you must:

  • make an arrangement with the parent about how the child should be cared for uphold this agreement
  • inform us at least six weeks before the child comes to live with you
  • work with social workers to make sure that the child's needs are fully assessed and met
  • allow social workers to carry out all necessary checks
  • make and arrangement with the child's parents about the type of information they would like to receive about their child and provide this information on a regular basis.

Please note: You are responsible for looking after the child on a day-to-day basis. The child's parents maintain parental responsibility and by law need to be involved in all decisions about their child.