Request a carer's assessment


Step 1: Being a carer

If you care for someone who is over 18, Barnet Council can work with you to build on your existing strengths and consider the different ways that caring affects your life and goals. We will help identify support to improve or maintain your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing, based on what’s important to you. This could come from within your local community and networks, charities and other organisations, or from the Council. 


Step 2: Start the conversation

If you would like to talk to us about how caring responsibilities affect your life and find out what additional support you are entitled to you can:

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for council funded services, you have to meet three national criteria:

  1. You have needs because of the unpaid care you give to an adult.
  2. Your needs affect your ability to achieve specified outcomes or puts your health at risk.
  3. This impacts on your wellbeing.



Step 3: How we can support you

Following your assessment, we will agree a plan that meets your needs and is based on your own strengths and existing support. This may include information, advice or referrals to other helpful organisations, and sometimes support directly from the Council.

A break from caring

A break from caring can be arranged for you or the person you care for.